3 weeks old!

Dear Diary,

I have been wanting to update the blog for quite some time but just never got to it so tonight I have put Isla (pronounced EYE'la) to sleep in our bedroom and I have her bedroom (and computer room) to do work on the computer. Isla is a good baby but she is easily woken up so I figure this is the best way for both of us.

Let me tell you about her first 3 weeks of life.....

Well, as many of you probably know, I had pregnancy induced hypertension from about 34 weeks onwards. Even with five weeks off work before her expected due date, not much changed and it continued to go and up and down right to the end and even after her birth! At 39 weeks a midwife was at the house and my BP was well over 100 so she was obligated to call the hospital to see what they wanted to do with me. I was told to come in with an overnight bag as they wanted to monitor me for the next 24 hours. That was Valentines day and by Saturday, I was going stir crazy in the maternity ward so I asked the doctor if I could go out to the shopping centre with Colin for a coffee at Starbucks and I was told I would be lucky if I made it outside for a lap around the car park!
I was induced on Saturday night at about 10 p.m. and had a really uncomfortable nights sleep. While I was being monitored, Isla's heartbeat kept dropping with every contraction and it was decided that I would be better off in the Delivery Suite so I was transferred there by 7 a.m. To this day, they still don't know why she was in distress but after three attempts to figure out why, I was rushed into the OR and Isla was delivered by "crash cesarean section" with me under a general anesthetic. Colin wasn't in the room either but he was right outside the door and she was delivered to her daddy's arms within minutes of her birth at 10:20 a.m. on 17th February 2008. I came around at about 11:30 a.m. so the two of them had some nice bonding time without me!!! Unfortunately for me, I don't remember much of that day but we are both thankful all went well and we have our beautiful daughter.

Isla was a mere but healthy 5lbs. 4 ozs (they attribute her size to the hypertension issue) at birth and when we took her home on the 21st February she was even less at an even 5lbs. We're very pleased to report that the little miss is gaining about 2 ozs. a day and last week Wednesday she weighed in at 6 lbs 4 ozs so we're guessing that she is now over 7 lbs. and is sleeping and eating well. She has a slight eye infection which is being treated but otherwise she is small but perfectly formed and her little chubby cheeks are proof!

About her name, it's unusual and it's Scottish. It's derived from the Scottish Hebrides island of Islay and for two people trying to find a name we both agreed on that meant something significant, we didn't do very well. I came across this name at the beginning of my pregnancy and it stuck as I loved it because it was unusual and feminine.

She eats every 3 hours to the minute but the last few days that is down to about 2 or 2.5 hours which keeps me up alot. She usually falls asleep as she's eating and if I'm lucky, occasionally she'll go 3 to 4 hours between feeds. It's tiring work but she is worth every sleepless minute. Oma left on Sunday for home after spending 9 days with us and she was determined to get a smile out of her which she claims she did but I don't think so... I'm still waiting to see the smile and after that labour and delivery, I deserve it!!!!!

This photo was taken on 1st March...


















These two photos were taken on 9th March -- can you see a difference in her size? Look at those chins!






















As for me, I'm healing well after the surgery and last week my blood pressure has FINALLY come down low enough for me to be dischrged from the midwives care.

Hope this update finds you all well.

Much love from us,
Heather, Colin and Isla