We're back! - Part I

Dear Diary, We came home last night at midnight. What a week! Where do I start?
First off, no photos in this post because the camera is in Connecticut (more on that later) so I hope Isla doesn't start walking this week because I won't be able to take a photo of her first steps!
I'll recap our trip.
We left for NYC on March 21 driving our van. We couldn't have asked for better driving conditions for which we are VERY thankful since last week was a severe weather week throughout the mid-west States. It was a bit windy, OK very windy, and I was concerned about the ugly roof box blowing off but Colin assured me it wasn't going anywhere. Still, I made him tighten it up as I had visions of my pillow and his suit blowing down I-80!
Nebraska and Iowa are the longest states, they just don't end. Pennsylvania we LOVED and if I could've stayed there I would. It has loads of trees, green grass, just beautiful, I felt right at home.
We arrived in NYC on Wednesday and we knew the drive into Manhattan to our hotel was going to be trying but seriously, we risked our lives. My advice is don't make a wrong turn in Newark, New Jersey, scary! Let's just say we won't be going back to NYC anytime soon. It's a case of been there, done that, not again, thank you very much.
Colin's UK work colleagues had already arrived and were eager to get started and he had a few meetings on Wednesday so Isla and I chilled out. She was really good during the drive. She would sleep for a couple of hours in the morning but then was up pretty much until she went to bed at night. Later in the afternoon she would get really whinny but at 13 months I think that can be expected.
We also found out how much she loves her bed at home. My-o-my, it took many "Twinkle, Twinkle"s and Gerber cheddar treats to get our girl to sleep. We soon found out that with the pack'n'play close to us, some Dramadine (much like Benadryl) and alot of milk and cheddar snacks she would eventually sleep. After a few nights we didn't even need the cheddar treats any more.
Thursday we went shopping while Colin worked and Friday I was planning on taking her to the Central Park zoo but she wasn't feeling that well. In the evening we managed to get down to Times Square. On Saturday we crammed all our tourists stops in while we took a bus tour that was a little less than acceptable. I will be writing a letter, provided photos of wet seats etc. and requesting my money back. It was horrendous but I won't get into that now.
On Sunday we drove to Bob and Nancy's in Connecticut and spent a few hours with them before heading off to the airport. We left our van at their house until Wednesday this week when Colin will drive back to Colorado. Once he is back I can get the camera with our photos.
I wasn't originally planning on coming home with him yesterday but Isla wasn't sleeping or napping well and was eating like a bird. To prove my point, she slept 3 hours this morning but came down with a flu bug after lunch. Anyways, she wasn't enjoying the trip and I was stressing about it so we decided that it would be best if we all flew home together. Colin doesn't mind driving by himself and he can certainly do it quicker than if we were all together. The downside is that I won't have a car this week...
It was a long week and we enjoyed some good family time but it wasn't a vacation. I could do with one right now!!!
As I mentioned we have no plans to return to NYC. I can think of more negatives than positives but think everyone should experience it for themselves and decide if they like it. I think it's one of those cities that you either love or hate.
We're home getting back to rountine, happy and thankful for a safe journey. It was wonderful that we could experience at least nine very (geographically) different states during our trip including Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut and Massachusetts. (I know I'm missing one or two but can't think which one!).
Watch out for Part II coming up, with photos!