22 Months Old

With all the goings on last week, Isla's 22 month "birthday" was overshadowed. That's OK, it wasn't that important compared to the life-altering events of last week. I have to say I'm doing this post but it almost feels irreverent as we just buried dad on Friday. My intention with these posts is more for her in the future and myself as I use these posts as a way of tracking her progress. I'll eventually print them off and put them in her keepsake box. This months edition is the Reader's Digest version.
Her 22 month birthday was the day of visitation at the funeral home. In the afternoon she stayed with my niece and nephew, Emily and Benjamin, at my brothers house and did amazingly well. In the evening she went to bed early and Emily and Benjamin stayed here at the house with her while she slept. This is a BIG step. When we left N. Ireland she was only 3 months old and Colin and I never went away together because at that time there was loads going on as well. When we lived in Colorado we took her with us and occasionally her Colorado "grandparents" would stay with her. This didn't happen too often but it's probably more because of me than her although at one time, going to bed at night was a bit of a nightmare and it didn't seem fair to leave her with a sitter at that time. So yeah, maybe it's a big step for me!!!
No seriously, there were a few times in the church nursery that she was teary the entire time but she did well at my friends' house on Friday and again yesterday in the church nursery so I think we are over the separation drama. Way to go Isla, Mama is so proud of you!
Again this month, her speech is improving and she is trying to say everybody's name. She points to the correct person when asked so that is a big milestone in itself.
I don't have accurate stats this month but I can say she grew almost 3 inches in the last 3 months! She's heavy and getting heavier all the time but if you saw the way the girl eats, that explains it. Mom often says she is joy to cook for because she eats everything - even brussel sprouts - YUCK - she's a much better eater than her mom.
Mom and I have often commented this month that she is becoming so mature. Not in the sense of an adult of course but she is becoming more of a little girl than toddler. It's so much fun to watch her grow up and I feel so fortunate that mom and dad were able to share in her development. She loved her Opa and would often give him kisses and "huggies" to brighten his day and now her presence and affection is a good distraction for mom as she transitions.